Click Here to View/Download
in WORD format
Michael J. Somerville, MSEL, BSEE
7660 Fay Avenue H-300, La Jolla, CA 92037
Leadership • Innovation • Results
- Demonstrated success in motivating human excellence, producing results that were previously referred to as ‘impossible’.
- Creative Leadership Professional, with demonstrated expertise in designing seminars and events yielding highly effective results through dynamic hands-on interaction.
- Engaging Communicator, collaborating with executive leadership, staff, clients and partners to solve problems and proactively identify opportunities for improvement.
- Business Innovation Evangelist with proven track record of providing a safe, trusted environment allowing for engagement and positive influence of others.
- Best-Selling (#1 on Amazon) Author of Defining Moments of Courage with Jack Canfield
- Entrepreneurial & Visionary Leadership
- Driver of Business Process Improvement Initiatives
- History of Career Progression
- Constantly Exceeding Client Expectations
- Track Record of Team Development
- Multi-Industry Background
- Highly Engaging & Interactive Style
- Budget & Cost Control
- Business & Executive Life Coaching Consultant
- Event Management & Promotion
- Technology Architecture & Integration
- Business Reengineering
- Unique Blend of Technical Expertise & Leadership Skills
- Board Member for Profit & Non-Profits
AMAZING, LLC Coaching & Consulting
2009 to Present
Exclusive, Experiential, Executive Life & Recovery Coaching
Founder & Chief Life Architect
- Developed a simple and extremely powerful coaching system for high performing individuals to transform themselves, their business and their lives into even greater success stories
- Work one-on-one with high-profile clients (c-suite) as a Life Coach, clarifying goals and showing immediate and long-term results in their business and personal lives
- Guest lecturer in Bachelor-level business classes (University of Phoenix) and co-facilitator of executive leadership education classes at the graduate level (University of San Diego)
- Provide executive consulting and coaching to multi-million dollar company executives and individuals in the entertainment industry
- Keynote and motivational speaker for ceremonies and conferences (e.g. Beta Gamma Sigma inaugural ceremony)
- Critical role in transitioning start-up companies into profitability while improving and maturing culture, increasing employee engagement, producing Raving Fans.
University of San Diego 2005 to Present
IT Manager, Systems Support & Chief Cloud Evangelist www.sandiego.edu
- Constantly recognized for raising the bar on employee performance via vendor-provided training and internal mentorship and leadership programs
- Pioneered the first “employee of the month” award, which increased the number of engaged employees and fostered a stronger commitment to collaborative results
- Support and lead ongoing cross-departmental collaboration (both within and outside of ITS) yielding significant technology growth for the University
- Increased technical complexity over the last 5 years while at the same time decreasing user complexity.
- Championed the deployment of Cisco 10 Gbps network infrastructure, Cisco UCS blade servers and VCE vBlock viritualization infrastucture
- Managed the ITS department’s team of system architects, system administrators, and network architects that provides voice and data systems to over 25,000 users
- Project manager and system architect for campus-wide wired and wireless network access control system providing self-service authentication, enforcement and remediation of end-users’ security, yielding a virus-free, spyware-free and illegal file-sharing-free enterprise network
- Technical project manager for conversion of campus eLearning system from flat-file database to Enterprise-Class Oracle database-driven ERP system.
- Design, install, and manage enterprise-class, highly available and highly reliable network systems for content management, web-services, and wired and wireless authentication.
- Championed initiative to migrate over 13,000 student e-mail accounts to Google’s GMAIL service; project and technical leader working directly with Marketing, Public Relations, Deans, etc, saving over 50% of the annual
e-mail renewal expense and paving the way for migration of other services to “the cloud”.
- Champion of Virtual Server infrastructure including HP Blades, Cisco UCS, NetApp and EMC storage.
- Ferociously focused on providing 99.999% uptime for all systems and services.
- Lead migration of services and infrastructure to “the Cloud” (e.g. development virtual machines to Amazon’s Web Services offering).
- Lead the full integration of vmware vCenter with Public Cloud providers, (e.g. Terremark/Verizon) saving the organization thousands of dollars in IT hardware costs and decreasing the time for system requests.
- Evangelizing of USD’s commitment to technology by engaging in numerous video testimonials for global future 500 companies like EMC and VCE
BiG I, Inc., IT consulting 1998 to Present
CTO & Founder www.theBiGi.net
- West Coast distributor of COVERJOCK Nightclub Automation software with increases club's top line by 10% or more
- Designed and installed wide-area 802.11 network providing fixed Point-to-Point and Point-to-Multipoint Internet connectivity utilizing multiple Internet backhaul scenarios
- Certified company as a Dealer and Installer for StarBand® two-way high-speed satellite Internet system design providing Internet for individual users and corporate clients
- Designed and installed Internet radio stations: www.KXCD.com, www.wsradio.com, and www.12StepRadio.com including
ON-AIR broadcast automation, production studios, Internet streaming, archiving, and full web site database integration.
- Formed Mexican Corporation, Internet Service Provider The BiG I, S.A.de C.V. to design and deploy 2.4 GHz / 5.8 GHz wireless data communication systems including custom authentication, accounting and billing system.
- Consulting with VARs to add a division of professional services to assists SMBs migration to “the cloud”.
KFMB AM/FM, San Diego, CA 1996 to 2003
Director of Engineering, Radio www.kfmb.com
- Managed engineering department’s operating and capital budget in excess of $2 million for number one radio station in the San Diego market. Stations generated greater than $25 million in revenue each year.
- Maintained greater than 99.99% “On-Air” reliability for both KFMB-AM 760 and KFMB-FM (Star 100.7FM).
- Established web streaming for MLB World Series (1998) and the national broadcast of the Westerfield/Van Dam trial in San Diego courts for over 10,000 concurrent users (2002).
- Architect and installer for broadcast automation system allowing both the AM and the FM radio stations to operate for over one week without human interaction utilizing a triple redundant and self-healing system that reduced unscheduled downtime to less than 5 minutes per year.
- Technical project manager to rebuild all production and on-air studios; Identified the need to replace existing equipment, selected new equipment, and provided executive leadership with cost justification for $300,000+ expenditure. Successfully completed project goals on time and under budget.
- Project leader/manager for $600,000+ triple redundant broadcast software automation installation. Achieved desired results on time and under budget with no disruption in on-air product. Maintained personnel morale during difficult ten-month project transition with constant training. Piloted team of multiple engineers through the design, selection and installation of network and server plant
- Rebuilt FM transmitter plant leveraging an integration of a 7-port community antenna facility (Mt. Soledad). Recognized maintenance of existing transmitter as being outdated and excessively costly. Identified replacement equipment and prepared design for revised facility. Presented cost and performance justification to executive team for $150,000+ outlay. Lead team of engineers during 12 month cutover resulting in no unscheduled down- time.
- Designed and managed entire technical infrastructure for large stadium events (10,000+) such as JingleBall® at the COX arena/SDSU
COMPASS RADIO GROUP 1994 to 1996
KEZK-FM/KFNS-AM, St. Louis, MO www.kezk.com
- Managed engineering, studio, RF, and remote broadcast departments for number one billing radio station combo in St. Louis market. Station generated greater than $12 million in revenue each year.
- Performed numerous remote broadcasts for high-profile talent in Florida, Missouri and Jamaica
- Lead technical team to assist in “flipping” the stations 3 times in 13 months. Station sold for $20M (Winter 1994), $35M (Spring 1995), and then $50M (Fall 1995) to Clear Channel
KCBQ AM/FM, San Diego, CA
Assistant Chief Engineer
- Worked in a team environment, managed studios, RF plant on Mt Soledad, La Jolla, CA, and remote broadcast equipment
- Increased reliability of both AM and FM facilities to greater than 99.9%
UNIVERSITY OF SAN DIEGO
Master of Science in Executive Leadership (MSEL), May 2010
an Executive MBA from the # 18 ranked School of Business
Graduated with honors in top 20% of all graduate business school students
Lifetime Member, Beta Gamma Sigma :
International Business Honor Society
SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE), May 1994
THE KEN BLANCHARD COMPANIES
DISC Certified Trainer and Facilitator
Professional Affiliations and Board Appointments
Former President, Board of Directors (2012)
It’s All About The Kids foundation, San Diego CA, www.ItsAllAboutTheKids.org
Director, Board of Directors
The Turning Point Home, San Diego CA, www.TurningPointHome.org
Executive Business Advisor, Board of Advisors
H.E.R.O. House, LLC, www.HeroHouse.com
Lifetime Member, Beta Gamma Sigma
International Business Honor Society, www.betagammasigma.org
PMI, Project Management Institute, www.pmi.org
Member, August, 2007 / PMP training, September 2007
IEEE, Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers www.ieee.org
Career Mentor Program Coordinator, E-mail liaison. (1992 - 1995)
SBE, Society of Broadcast Engineers, Member # 15078
Certified as Broadcast Engineer, April 1995
Certified as Broadcast Technologist, January 1995
Certified as Television Operator, April 1995
FCC Radio Telephone Operator Permit, March 1983
Additional programming/computer experience:
C#.NET, ASPX, Assembler,
Pascal, BASIC, SQL, MySQL, Access Front-end Programming, INTERGATE® technologies, Novell® Client32,
v3.x SFTiii, v4.x, V5.x.
WINDOWS: 9x®, NT ®, 2000, 2003, XP, Outlook, Word, Excel, Access.
MAC: OSx; Jaguar/Panther, BSD-UNIX, LINUX (RedHat, SuSE).
Marketron Traffic and Billing system (ACT II, ACT IV and WINDOWS versions).
Internet: PHP, HTML, ASP.NET (database integration), eCommerce.
REAL Audio/Helix Server, Darwin Server, Xing/Streamworks, Windows Media, WINAMP/ShoutCast.
Assembly and troubleshooting of all PC compatibles, from workstation to server.
WAN/LAN installation and management
of 10,000+ user networks, using multiple
network platforms, and multiple server configurations & operating systems.
Additional RF Experience (System design, Repair, Maintenance, & Installation):
Satellite: Ku/C-band uplink and downlink, StarGuide II, III, Scientific Atlanta,
AMís: Multi-tower directional & Non-D arrays, ATUís, etc. 1 Kw - 50 Kw
facilities. Harris, Continental, Nautel, & BE transmitters.
FMís: Harris, Continental, Gates, RCA & BE transmitters.
Multi-Transmitter combiner site with over 600 KW E.R.P.
Other: STLís, Two way: Microwave and Satellite communication.
All types of telephony from POTS and 1A2ís to T-1/PRI links for telephony,
computer networks, and audio distribution.
Remote Audio: COMREX(1 line, 2 line, HOTLINE, NEXUS, VECTOR etcÖ),
Moseley, MARTI, Telos: ZEPHYR, SW56, ISDN
Excellent professional references provided upon request.